Twice a year, in the fall and spring, you can bring hazardous waste from around your home to a special collection site so the waste can be disposed of properly. This protects the environment by keeping the waste out of the regular trash, landfill and stormwater system. The events are 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on a Saturday. It's never too early to start setting aside those hazardous wastes. The event is sponsored by the City of Jackson with the state of Tennessee providing funding.
IT'S OK TO BRING ...
From the workbench
- Oil-based paint, thinner and stripper
- Adhesives, driveway sealants, roofing tar and other home improvement products
- Starter fluid
- Wallpaper remover
- (Latex paint will not be accepted; instead, small amounts of latex paint can be dried until solid and thrown away in the regular garbage.)
From the garage
- Gasoline, antifreeze, coolants
- Fuel and oil additives
- Grease and rust solvents
- Naval jelly and body putty
- Carburetor and fuel injector cleaners
- Non-alkaline batteries
- Car wax and polishes
- (Used oil is accepted year-round at many places in Jackson. Here's a list ...)
From the yard
- Herbicides, pesticides, fungicides, and fertilizers
- Wood preservatives
- Pool chemicals
From the house
- Household cleaners, such as drain and oven cleaners, polishes and disinfectants
- Computers, computer parts and other electronic waste (no televisions)
- Fluorescent light bulbs and tubes
A few more items
- Needles and sharps (Place them in puncture-proof containers)
- Photo processing chemicals
- Aerosols and compressed gas
- Mercury thermostats and thermometers
FROM OUR PARTNERS ...
Document Shredding, by Direct Shred
- 10 box maximum per vehicle
Electronic Recycling, by Omega Recycling Solutions
Accepted Items: Computer equipment and components (PCs, CPUs, mice, monitors, keyboards, printers, scanners, laptops, modems, hard drives, memory, circuit boards, speakers, power cords, cables, etc.)
Other Electronic Items: (VCRs, DVD players, game systems, radio/CD players, MP3 players, PDAs/cradles, fax machines, scanners, cell phones/ cordless phones & chargers, and other electronic equipment).
Not accepted: Televisions, microwaves, large appliances.
Prescription Medication Disposal, by Jackson-Madison County Metro Narcotics
- Keep medication in original container, if possible.
- Will accept prescription medications and all over-the counter medications.
- Will not accept needles and liquid medications.
- Boxes must be broken down before drop-off.